Frequently Asked Questions
Eligibility Requirements for Study Abroad
  • All students must be in good academic standing and have a minimum, cumulative GPA of 3.0. 
  • Junior standing.  With special permission from the student’s academic advisor and the faculty chair associated with their major, special exceptions can be made, although rare, for a student to study abroad during the second semester of their sophomore year, or the first semester of their senior year.
  • Good disciplinary standing as determined by Student Affairs.
  • Good financial standing at the time of application to study abroad.  Please consult the Office of Student Accounts for details regarding any outstanding balances owed to MICA prior to applying.
  • All students must be enrolled full-time at MICA the semester prior to their proposed study abroad semester.  Students on a Leave of Absence (LOA) will not be permitted to apply.  Eligibility will be determined by their academic advisor once they are re-admitted back to MICA.
When can I go abroad?

Almost all students study abroad during their junior year.  There are some exceptions where it is feasible to study abroad during the second semester of the sophomore year, or the first semester of the senior year, however this is rare.  To determine eligibility, the Office of International Education advises students to discuss these scenarios with both their academic advisor and the faculty chair associated with their major.  The Office of International Education cannot provide academic advising to students.

*Note: First-Year Experience students: All FYE students undertake a shared, foundational curriculum designed as a year-long experience. This is also a time when students contemplate their respective majors and decide on their degree plans. As such, first-year students at MICA are not eligible to study abroad on a semester-length program.  However, they are permitted to study on a summer program, or a short-term faculty-led program administered by MICA or an approved provider.

Where can I study abroad?

If you are interested in a semester study abroad experience, please visit the Programs page to view the MICA-approved programs.  Approved semester programs are managed by the Office of International Education.  MICA offers programs in approximately 30 countries, supporting specific majors.  Students are not permitted to study abroad on a program that is not on the approved list.

All freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible to study abroad during the summer.  Students are encouraged to research and identify programs through reputable providers; the Office of International Education provides guidance by vetting the programs students wish to apply to.

What is the difference between an affiliated study abroad program and an exchange program?

Affiliate program providers offer semester and short-term length programs that are approved and co-sponsored by MICA.  The affiliate provider typically manages their respective programs both stateside and abroad.  These types of programs procure and manage the student experience from academic advising and immigration support, to onsite student, academic, residential, and cultural affairs.

Exchange programs are designed for those who prefer a more independent experience.  Students are taught in the local, pedagogical style, and they partake in academic and student life as a local student.  Academic and administrative services are available to students similar to those at MICA, but vary by institution.

Will my program have the same semester dates as MICA?

Not necessarily. While some programs have dates that are close to MICA's semester dates, some programs begin and end at different times, and may vary in length.  All students are required to participate for the entire duration of their respective program.  

How do you get credit for taking classes abroad?

All students are required to maintain a full course load of 12-15 credits while studying abroad.  Student course selections are indicated on the Study Abroad Course Approval Form and are reviewed by their academic adviser and faculty chair associated with their major(s).

Students that study abroad while on Leave of Absence (LOA) will not receive credit for courses taken abroad.  Eligibility for study abroad is determined by a MICA academic adviser after the student has returned to MICA after the LOA.
How much does studying abroad cost?

For all study abroad affiliate and exchange programs, students pay MICA’s semester tuition cost; the program administration of the selected program will bill the student directly for all non-tuition costs, i.e. residence life, student life, admin support.

How do I apply?

Students must speak to their academic adviser, faculty chair, and study abroad advisor before starting an application.  Once a student is approved to study abroad, they will be permitted to apply to this site.  The Office of International Education recommends that students discuss study abroad with their academic advisor early in their undergraduate experience in order to make careful course selections making study abroad feasible.